Please apply here:
Wide Eye is an award-winning digital agency that does cutting-edge work for progressive causes, political campaigns, and world-changing organizations.
We are seeking a motivated, experienced Technical Director for a full-time remote position (though Washington DC or New York City is preferred). The successful applicant will help oversee, mentor, and provide education to a growing development team so the team can execute stunning interactive experiences. Applicants must have expert level knowledge of web development, code syntax and architecture, excellent communication skills, proven visual instincts, and a “can-do” work ethic.
Why work at Wide Eye?
- Work on meaningful causes, campaigns, and organizations
- Opportunities to work with a highly-creative, award-winning team
- Major potential for growth in the role and within the company
- Competitive salaries & benefits
- Unlimited vacation
- Work from home
- Potential to participate in the company 401k and profit-sharing plans
- Professional development opportunities
- Job Responsibilities
Technical Problem-Solving and Leadership
- Lead on introducing and documenting new and improved technologies, frameworks, and solutions for (and to wow) our clients
- Help scope, budget, and lead on executing large technical projects and new features
- Conduct research and lead forecasting on new tools and technologies to solve client problems
- Keep up on the evolution of CRMs industry-wide and be the expert on optimal integrations and best practices
- Collaborate with our systems administrator on coordinating best practices for DevOps and our hosting environment, including exploring use of new scalable solutions
- Evaluate development team and freelancer technical ability: identifying strengths, problem areas, and developing plans for improving performance
- Proactively communicate technical inefficiencies and vulnerabilities (and offer solutions) to the sales and management teams
- Identify weak software systems that need code improvement and proactively schedule corrective action, when possible
- Architect and code projects, advanced project features, and applications
- Solve our most complex technical problems and challenges to free the development team to do their work efficiently
- Create automated test processes for projects and features, where possible, and contribute to the build system
- Routinely audit our internal code products to maintain efficiency and best practices company-wide
Experience / Qualifications
- Minimum 9 years experience in web development and/or technical product/project management
- Prompt verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey complex ideas with brevity to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to see the big picture, stay organized, prioritize, and manage time
- Ability to work autonomously, be open and receptive to feedback, and translate our processes to non-industry stakeholders
- Ability to develop, mentor, train, and support the development team
- Experience with SysAdmins and DevOps using the following, or equivalent, technologies: Web Servers, DNS, CDNs, Continuous Integrations (CI),
- Security and Performance Management
- Expertise with WordPress, or equivalent, web stack/framework
- Expertise with back-end development using the following technologies, or equivalent, web stack: PHP, MySQL, JS, Gutenberg/React, and Custom APIs
- Expertise with Git or other code-versioning systems
- Extensive experience with responsive development, graceful degradation, and progressive enhancement
- Understanding of accessibility, modern web design principles, user experience, information architecture, and social media
- Expertise with design software (Figma, Adobe Creative Suite 5+), vector graphics (SVG), and a thorough attention to design details
- Experience with CRMs such as Blue State Digital, NGP VAN, ActionKit, Action Network, etc.
- Experience building teams of developers, either full-time or contractors
- Interest in progressive politics and social change
- Annual salary range: 130-150K plus benefits
- Apply for this position here: https://airtable.com/shrZ54ZiaUJuPkZZF?prefill_Form%20Submission=checked
- Please include your resume and either a link to your resume or recent work samples. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Wide Eye promotes diversity of thought, culture, and background which connects the Wide Eye team. Wide Eye is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state or federal law or local ordinance.
*Applicant must be US-based.
About Wide Eye
Wide Eye is a full-service creative agency specializing in interactive design, web development, and digital communications for brands that change the world.