How do you know if you’d be a good fit?
- Are you the kind of person who always has a few projects going on at once?
- Do you sometimes stay up late at night tinkering with new languages and frameworks, or hacking away at an undocumented API?
- Are you the kind of person who isn’t afraid of making and admitting a mistake — and then learning from it?
- Do you enjoy learning from people with different backgrounds and skills than your own?
- Implement the technical aspects of new client WordPress sitesDevelopment of website backends, including WordPress taxonomies, custom fields, customized database configuration, and external APIs
- Migration of content from existing websites into WordPress
- Some development of responsive website frontends, using WordPress templates built on Timber, Sass, Advanced Custom Fields Pro, and the Gutenberg editor (though most of the heavy lifting here is already being completed by other team members)
- Assist our team of PMs, designers, and other developers in planning and designing new sites. We value developer input throughout the development process — there are no silos.
- Troubleshoot and resolve usability and technical issues on existing client sites
- Test and deploy feature and plugin updates to existing client sites
- Provide technical consultancy services to clients and fellow team members
- Develop reusable, easy-to-understand code
- 4+ years experience with WordPress, ideally in a client service capacity
- Expertise implementing responsive designs
- Experience using debugging tools such as XDebug and Chrome InspectorStrong understanding of most aspects of front-end and back-end website development
- Excellent written communication skills
- High ability to self-manage task workload and ask for help when there are competing project priorities — our developers aren’t out on an island!
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems independently
- Experience with the Gutenberg editor
- Experience with WP Engine and Pantheon hosting platforms
- Experience with Advanced Custom Fields Pro
- Experience with Timber / TWIGExperience with Laravel
- Experience with Sketch and/or Invision
About Red Edge
We’re an Arlington-based digital advocacy firm which primarily assists clients on free-market and personal liberty issues with apps, ads, and ideas. We’ve made some awesome stuff, but you can be a part of making our best products yet.
- Work in a fast-paced, exciting environment
- Don’t care about titles
- Do care about talent
- Don’t care about your grades in school
- Do care about passion
- Won’t be impressed by the five years of “experience” you had stagnating at one job
- Will be impressed by a cool project you made on your own
- Enjoy kicking ass
- Work hard and play hard
- Possess a good sense of humor
- Relish the chance to try new things
- Know what they don’t know, and have a drive to improve
- Be humble enough to admit mistakes, and smart enough to learn from them
- May lack for experience but not of a desire to learn
- Enjoy messing with the status quo
- Want to create one’s own job description based on his/her own success
- Work in our Virginia office location
About our office:
- We’re located right above the Courthouse metro stop and are an easy commute from just about anywhere. Transit or parking benefits are available.
- Our hours are 9:30-6:30, but flexible. Our focus is on getting stuff done and having fun, not waiting for a clock.
- Dress is casual, except sometimes when we have to meet clients.
- In general, we prefer common sense to typed out rules.
- We subsidize health insurance and transit or parking, sponsor and contribute to a 401(k) for eligible employees, and may offer potential relocation adjustment commensurate with position and fit.
- As you’d expect from a tech-focused firm, we have snacks, a well-stocked bar, and beer in the refrigerator.